CBE's Egalitarian Directory
Welcome to CBE's interactive directory of egalitarian ministries, which includes churches, schools, chapters, counselors, and other organizations.
The map below includes member ministries and user-submitted ministries.
CBE does not endorse or vouch for the theology of user-submitted ministries. These are simply ministries that have been recommended as egalitarian.
We are always working to expand and update our directory, but we need your help. If your church, school, or ministry is egalitarian, let us know so we can add it to our directory.
Using the Directory
There are several types of ministries, each indicated by a unique icon, which is either teal or gray. Teal icons below indicate CBE member ministries. Gray indicates user submissions.
You can select or unselect each type of ministry. To do so, click the icon on the top left of the map to expand the Layers menu. The Layers menu also includes a full map key.
Nothing in your Area?
Consider searching the web for churches and reviewing their statements of faith. Check to see if they have women on their teaching or leadership team. Contact the church to ask a few questions. You might want to ask:
- Are there women on the elder board or the decision-making board that determines church policy?
- Do they have women on staff? If so, in what positions?
- Do they have a woman as pastor? Have they ever had a woman as pastor?
- Do women preach often?
- Does the church have an official position on authority in the home and church?
- Do they (or have they) taught classes on gender in the last five years? If so, what books do/did they use?
- What Bible translation do they use in their pews?
- Is the church familiar with the ministry of CBE?
- Provide the church with a copy of CBE's statement "Men, Women, and Biblical Equality" for their consideration. This document has been adopted by numerous churches around the world.
Consider visiting the websites of the denominations listed below. While individual congregations within denominations may vary greatly and may not all agree with CBE's Core Values, these groups are known to give women access to leadership positions. They include:
- American Baptist
- The Anglican Communion
- Assemblies of God
- Church of the Brethren
- Church of the Foursquare
- Church of the Nazarene
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
- Christian Reformed Church
- Disciples of Christ
- ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians
- Episcopal Church in the USA
- Evangelical Covenant
- Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America (ELCA)
- Free Methodists
- Grace Communion International
- Mennonite Church of the USA
- The Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA)
- The Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC)
- Reformed Church in America
- Salvation Army
- United Methodists
- Vineyard Fellowship
This study conducted by Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary also provides helpful information on various denominations' stances.